When talking to friends, I’ve been getting requests for more lunch meal prep recipes. Whether you are looking to save money, better your nutrition, and/or make your co-workers jealous, I highly recommend these meal prep recipes to improve your work week. You can use this recipe for lunches, or if you want to bulk prep a side dish for weekly dinners. I’m personally a sucker for Mexican food (fueled by my wife’s superb Mexican cooking), especially when it incorporates avocado, tomatoes and fresh cilantro. This dish should take you no longer than 20 minutes to make.
One mistake rookie meal preppers (if that isn’t a word, it is now) make is forgetting to add a grain to their meal. I’ve heard of people bringing salads to work, and complaining they aren’t full. I highly recommend adding grains like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc. to help keep you full all day.
This recipe and pictures are courtesy of noblepig My mom raves about this recipe, so I finally made it today and decided it was blog worthy!
Time- 20 minutes
- (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper, diced
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- juice of 2 limes (4 tablespoons of lime juice)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Optional- 1.5 cups dry brown rice
- Add the beans, corn, pepper, tomatoes, and cilantro to a large bowl.
- If you are making rice, boil 3 cups of water, add the 1.5 cups of brown rice once the water is boiling, turn down to low heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes (or until all of the water is absorbed).
- Add the lime juice, olive oil, and garlic to a small bowl and mix. Cut up the avocado and add to the juice. The citrus will help prevent the avocado from browning as fast.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour.