Wellness Tip- When opting for greek yogurt, go with plain and add frozen fruit. If you take a look at almost any flavored yogurts, the sugar content is over 15 grams. That is more than some candy bars! Frozen fruit has become a staple of our shopping list, ones like mango and mixed berries. All you have to do is microwave the frozen fruit, and then add it in! If the plain greek yogurt is a bit too tart, feel free to mix in some honey (better than pure sugar). I personally like plain Chobani and Trader Joe’s greek yogurts (they both have only a few ingredients).
This egg-stuffed sweet potato recipe is courtesy of Fit Bottomed Eats’s blog. It is one of the most versatile dishes I’ve made. It has been my go to if I am looking to whip up a quick breakfast or dinner that is also very filling. It is very visually appealing with all of the different colors associated with the dish, and is sure to keep you full!
Sweet potatoes are extremely healthy for you, very rich in Vitamin A. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and phosphorus. Avocados are also a good source of healthy fats and potassium (did you know that avocados have more potassium than a banana?), and can even lower your cholesterol!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 2 tablespoons Chunky Medium Salsa
- Optional- 2 tablespoons Plain 0% Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Optional- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- Pop the sweet potato in the microwave for 5 minutes. Make sure you pierce the potato with your fork. As your sweet potato cooks, beat your egg with a little salt and pepper. And chop the avocado.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked (a fork pierces it easily), carefully remove the sweet potato from the microwave (it’ll still be hot!), and cut a long slice down the middle without cutting through the whole potato. Scoop out the inner flesh with a spoon, put into a small bowl and mash.
- Add the sweet potato flesh to your eggs and mix well.
- Heat a small pan coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat and scramble your egg-sweet-potato mixture.
- Lastly, assemble your stuffed sweet potato! Place the egg mixture in first. Then top with the avocado, cilantro, salsa and Greek yogurt.